About Trauma Recovery: What is PTSD?
SAMHSA & VA Resources
- TIP 36: Substance Abuse Treatment for Persons with Child Abuse and Neglect Issues (SAMHSA)
- Quick Guide for Clinicians Based on TIP 36
- KAP Keys for Clinicians Based on TIP 36
- Helping Yourself Heal: A Recovering Woman's Guide to Coping With Childhood Abuse Issues
- Ayudando a Sanarse a Si Misma: Una Guia para Mujeres en Recuperacion para Ayudarles a Enfrentar los Ploblemas Asociados con el Abuso Infantil
- Helping Yourself Heal: A Recovering Man's Guide to Coping With the Effects of Childhood Abuse
- Ayudando a Sanarse a Si Mismo: Una Guia para Hombres en Recuperacion para Ayudarles a Enfrentar los Problemas Asociados con el Abuso Infantil
- TIP 57: Trauma-Informed Care in Behavioral Health Services (SAMHSA)
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs National Center for PTSD resources:
- What is PTSD? (infographic)
- PTSD Treatment Works (poster)
- PTSD and Aging
The Best Treatment for PTSD (infographic)
How to Choose the Right PTSD Treatment for You (infographic)
Don't Spend a Lifetime Trying to Understand Your Trauma (women's infographic)
PTSD: Help for Family and Friends (infographic)
- National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP) summary of Seeking Safety
- Click here to check out the Seeking Safety website, featuring some materials free to download, and additional materials available to order.
Trauma Recovery & Empowerment Model (TREM)
- National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP) summary of the Trauma Recovery & Empowerment Model (TREM)
- Click here to check out the Community Connections website, including their online store.
Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs white-board talk video describing EMDR
- Click here to check out 2 reputable EMDR websites - emdria.org, and emdr.com - both of which include the capability to search for EMDR therapists, and EMDR trainings.
Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs white-board talk video describing CPT
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for PTSD: How to Help Your Loved One during Treatment handout
- Click here for information about CPT and other evidence-based interventions for PTSD at the VA's National Center for PTSD
Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PET)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs white-board talk video describing PET
- Prolonged Exposure (PE) for PTSD: How to Help Your Loved One during Treatment handout
- Click here to check out a reputable PET website.
Table of Contents and Chapter-specific supplements
- Overview (pp. 1-4)
- Getting Started (pp. 5-18)
- Self-Selected Work Groups (pp. 19-42)
- Trauma-informed Services Conference (pp. 43-48)
- Treatment Model Consideration and Adaptations (pp. 49-60)
- Trauma-specific Trainings (pp. 61-68)
- Launching Trauma-specific Services (pp. 69-78)
- Continuing Forward (pp. 79-82)
- References and Resources (pp. 83-90)
- Appendices (pp. 91-151)
This manual was developed in 2008-09 by Stephen R. Wiland, LMSW, ICADC, with grant funding from the State of Michigan's Department of Community Health.
Reactions to the "What Happened to You?" manual by practitioners in the field:
- "I saw the toolkit that you developed for trauma integration into a CMH setting and am very impressed." - CMH Vice-President and C.O.O.
- "I just wanted to let you know that your [manual] is incredible! I work for [an organization], we have a grant to use IMR (Illness Management and Recovery), and I found some of the program lacking. When I opened your materials I discovered the information I needed to assist my clients through their panic attacks, PTSD, etc., which is mainly what I am dealing with in my client population. Our caseloads are very high and we have been told that therapy will be a thing of the past in a short time, but with the way you've set up your manual I know that I will be able to still assist my clients in a case-management-only mode. Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of the work you and your staff put into this manual." - CMH Case Manager
Adverse Childhood Experiences Study (ACES)
- Seeking Safety: A Treatment Manual for PTSD and Substance Abuse, by Lisa Najavits
- Using Trauma Theory to Design Service Systems, by Maxine Harris & Roger Fallot
- Trauma Recovery & Empowerment: A Clinician's Guide to Working with Women in Groups, by Maxine Harris
- Men's Trauma Recovery and Empowerment Model (M-TREM): A Clinician's Guide for Working with Male Survivors in Groups, by Roger Fallot et al
- Substance Abuse Men's Trauma Recovery and Empowerment Model (SA-M-TREM) A Clinicians Guide for Working with Male Survivors in Groups, by Roger Fallot, Maxine Harris, Richard Bebout & David Freeman
- Love and Life: G-TREM Trauma Recovery and Empowerment Model Group Intervention for Adolescent Girls, by Maxine Harris et al